Wednesday, May 4, 2011

pot #25

Michael Corney.
I bought this at the Santa Fe Clay's 'La Mesa' exhibit at Baltimore NCECA. Was that in 2006? I went with Todd Scholtz and Elly Biggerstaff. Elly and I walked into the La Mesa exhibit, late, and most everything was sold already. We walked over to the little table and saw all the Michael Corney cups. We both bought one. Elly's was a tad obscene on the back. I was already making BoneGuy cups, so I had to have this guy's work.

This piece is 4.25 x 3 x 3" and what you see is what you get. I am guessing it is thrown from porcelain, but I see no throwing rings...it is very smooth. It is pressed in where you see the drawn stain (or underglaze) eyes, nose and mouth. The outside surface is matt, but the inside is glazed. The lip is marked with cobalt of a blue stain. The foot is concave and glazed a vibrant yellow. There is no potter's mark or signature.

Fun cup! You can find his work at www.michael corney.com



No comments:

Post a Comment