Thursday, March 31, 2011

POT # 4

This is a pot by Yoshiro Ikeda. He is a professor of Art at K-State. I feel very fortunate to have this teapot. I missed out on buying one at the KCAC art auction a few years ago...just a little too much money, but cheaper than buying one from a gallery.
Anyway...I contacted Inge Balch at Baker, told her I was looking for one of his small pieces from the Cone Box (usually they are purchased before I can get there). She told me she had some in storage and I could come get one. YAY! It is the prize of my collection!

This little treasure may be made of porcelain or B-Mix. The body is pretty creamy in color. The body and lid appear to be thrown, but I'm not sure (maybe I should read up on his technique???) The spout is surely hand built as well as the squeezed together handle. The bottom is covered with 9 little feet.It is 4 5/8 x 31/2 x 21/2". There is a black slip on the body with a white crawler over that. There is a band of black slip or gun-metal glaze around the middle as well as on the feet. The middle band also has a band of red and touch of what appears of be Higby Water Blue.

This piece almost looks rakued, but there is no reduction on the inside (where there is NO glaze). There is a spot of red at the tip of the lid and each of othe 9 little feet.


I love this pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment