Sunday, March 27, 2011

march 27, 2011...POT #1

I am going to start with my Orton International Cone Box show purchases. I love this exhibit. The show was started by Bill Bracker (Bracker's Good Earth Clays) while he was teaching at Purdue University. All entries are juried by piece...no slides...and must fit inside an old fashioned Orton cone box...6 x 3 x 3"...although they do not have to be shipped in an old cone box. After moving around for a bit, the show settled at Baker University with Ceramics instructor, Inge Balch. The show moved again in 2010 to the Lawrence Art Center, Lawrence, Kansas. This was the first piece I ever purchased at a Cone Box show. It was 2002 and I also happened to be in the show. (It was my second attempt at being in the show.) This wonderful little teapot was made by Becky Posnac. She is from St. Louis and it cost me the tidy sum of $35.oo. It appears to be made of stoneware, reduction fired with a buttery green glaze. It is 4 x 2.75 x 3.25" The Orton International Cone Box show is a wonderful opportunity to have beautiful work by famous, and not so famous, artists at a reasonable price. It is also great for an artist that does not have the facilities and equipment or the money for professional images. Check it out at at every NCECA. The next show will be accepting entries in fall of 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment